Monday, May 16, 2011

2011 Met Ball, New York

Well, for a bit of variety, I thought I'd share my favourite gowns from the Metropolitan Museum of Art's "Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty" Costume Institute Gala, 2011.

This is a great event that a client put me onto, and has a bit more pop than the regular red carpet outfits, which have become so damn boring, in our times of over-stylined celebrity. I would love a few more celebrities to man-up on their stylists and go for broke. Or just choose stuff that they actually love?

Anyway, here we go..

So there were some strong trends, like wearing red on the red carpet. Camouflage is always a great way to stand out, surely? Gisele and Lea and a few others wore the ever-present silk-crunch-confection, while others went for the slim red line.

Gisele Buchen
Mary Kate in vinatge Givenchy
J-Lo in Gucci
Lea Michele in Escada




I particularly love Mary Kate's choice - I never thought I'd say that. Whilst the vinatge trend still creeps into every corner, I absolutely love how she stands out from the silk taffeta-wearing red-carpet crowd. But I have a weakness for real hippie couture.
J-Lo's floral wrap is amazing as well, it makes her look like beautiful wallpaper.

Next, Michelle Williams in Miu Miu.


I adore this dress; if I could speak French sufficiently to rhapsodise about this dress, I would. Apart from my love of bird motifs, this is just a ripper of a dress. Its so deeply elegant, with the 1930's draping around the arms and the slim skirt and grosgrain belt. Its all so restrained, and with her hair, it just pops. Sexy and elegant and timeless altogether.

Elizabeth Banks, Maggie Gyllenhall and Diane Kruger all rocked the sequined dress:




Again, these are great because they are elegant, yet exciting red carpet gowns. There is nothing as simply appropriate as a sequinned frock for a gala. I love the matte sequins and muted tones; shades of gold and flesh, and Maggie's midnight blue is stunning and restrained.


And just for fun, and because I love Mick Jagger, his arm candy (girlfriend L'Wren Scott) designed her dress and I think its rad. Clearly I'm loving black/navy and gold, but it been a while since it was a popular choice and I think its outrageously right on some people.

Lastly, the ever-gothic Christina Ricci, in Zac Posen.

Christina Ricci is what Helena Bonham-Carter could be, if she were fresher and more fashion savvy. Ricci's strong personal style sometimes overwhelms the flimsy numbers she chooses, but more often than not, her dark, romantic choices are great, and this is definitely one of them! 
This is such a classic example of "wearing the dress", as opposed to "being worn". Its a killer gown, but she carries it off with class and power and makes it all work. The fit is incredible and the design has everything: classic silhouette and strength, with very contemporary fabrics and treatment that contrast in their delicacy: its a tour de force of line. 
I think I love it because it's so like an ink illustration; all black tones and graded lines. Very exciting.


There were so many more, but whether it was a boring fabric choice or detestable celebrity (Blake...) wearing it, I choose not to comment on those. 


No comments:

Post a Comment