Monday, September 6, 2010

Colour and movement

This week... latest projects:

On the left is a pure Modal (cellulose fibre) jersey tricot dress, double layered, with a double bias-bound hem. I added the neckline ties as a detail to break up the blocky texture of the jersey, as the client is new to "dress-wearing", and needed some distraction from the overall orange. My brief for it was "a European-summer-holiday-dress" , so it had to be travel-safe and very very comfortable... read "cool".

On the right is a copy of a skirt for the same client, a simple darted a-line skirt, made in this version from pure silk animal print (a-la-jungle fever, see last week's entry), lined as well, for comfort.

We also added a pair of comfy brown linen drawstring trousers to her travel wardrobe, with a special passport pocket hidden inside!

This last week has seen an influx of spring orders, for weddings, races, parties, amid a general call for "something flattering please!"

This last dress was one such job, needed for the 8th September, and its turned out pretty well I think..

The brief for this dress was "an elegant all-round dress, with a funky/modern edge". The Client loves Japanese fabric and styles, so I incorporated a piece she sourced from a furnishing textile wearhouse into the centre front and back panels of the princess line dress.

The main fabric is a cotton/elastane blend, from Tessuti. Its a wonderful fabric, but I bought the last 2.5m! I made the self belt with a recycled vintage buckle, and keeper, as well as the double straps. I have just discovered self-covered buttons, so I used them as details on the back straps as well.
Its not lined, but the Japanese panels are sewn into the panel lines, over a panel of the black cotton, as backing and strength. We wanted a bit of gathering/blousing in the silk panel, for contrast. Overlocking was quite sufficient as the cotton fabric is firm and forgiving.

Thats all for now, hope you like them!